Friday, January 29, 2010

Education plan

So i am still in college. Its been almost 4 years since i graduated high school. That statement freaks me out. I don't feel like I'm old enough!! I am wrapping up my education degree and for about a year now have felt like I can do bigger and better things. I have been 200% about my education degree. I talked to God about, and we were cool with that decision. So I pushed the gas, and haven't let up at all until about a year ago, I felt like God was telling me to put on the brakes and all of a sudden thought " RUH ROH, I don't think that I am supposed to be a teacher!"After much thought... much prayer...speech pathology always remained in the back of my mind. I kept coming back to it relentlessly. I would search other fields while trying to stay true to what I felt like my calling was. When I began this journey 4 years ago, I remember absolutely knowing that God gave me a gift to work with kids. So naturally, if i am pursuing further education, what degree do i go for?? Bachelors in Interdisciplinary Studies in Early Childhood Education. That's a mouthful for the simpler equivalent of a teacher. When i made this decision, I did not take into consideration a time when God told me I would work with special needs or impaired, but specifically deaf children. From the time I was able to read, I would always gravitate to the sections in bookstores about sign language. My mother and father had many many books teaching sign language that i would often take out our home library and read from such an early age. I never knew why I had an interest in it, but I knew I was supposed to. I remember when mark and I started dating, and he asked me what i thought my calling was. I told him, "kids, I'm supposed to be with kids and I have always felt like I was supposed to learn sign language. I don't know if it's because I will have a deaf child someday, or maybe that will be how I work with kids."
I am kind of pissed at myself for not staying true to that calling on my life but felt like I was doing what I was supposed to for the time being. Therefore, last year I made the official decision to get my Master's in Speech Language Pathology through the levelling program at Texas Tech, then Graduate School. So this semester was time for me to apply after much thought and conversations with my parents, my husband, husband's parents, and such. SO I am glad to say that I just submitted my application for the levelling program at Tech and without hesitation I will pursue this new road.
Now, how does working with deaf children tie into all of this? I didn't know at first and was just praying that it would be revealed to me. And this is what i found out. I was looking up PhD degrees with a masters in speech path, and at Texas Tech it is Audiology. WHAT!? How crazy! I have been blindly following the spirits tugs to here and then there and here again and there again. Today, I felt like I had a " clouds open up and the sun shines through with the sound of angels singing" moment. I know that I shouldn't be surprised because it's God, but I'M SURPRISED!!! I feel like I kind of know where I'm going now and it makes me excited even though I will still have many years of school. I know it is going to be H-A-R-D! But It's easy to keep your eyes on the prize when you are doing it for the glory of God.

No comments: