Sunday, January 17, 2010

Food, Inc.

So, i have been recently introduced to a movie called Food, Inc. Its about the food industry and the government protection of that industry. It exposes the corruptness and inhumane treatment of the animals that we are to consume. I know what your thinking, " its an animal, they were made for us to eat...get over it", because I always said the same thing. I used to snub people who said things similar to that statement. I probably still would, just being honest. However, I was disgusted and repulsed by the way our meat market is ran. It made me mad more than anything just because I feel so powerless. Aside from the meat market, even the farming market is controlled to the -inth degree.

Anyway, this movie brought on a lot of reflection. I always played with the idea of eating "kosher" or "organic". I tried to be a vegetarian for a week, and about DIED! I lasted 7 days, and on the 8th day...I caved and ate burger. It was so hard!! Back to the kosher/organic thing, I have thought about it, but never really wanted to follow through with it because of the stigmatism attached to the label. I never wanted to be one of those "weird or radical" people that are members of PETA, wear eco-friendly clothes, and smoke organic cigarettes. Especially in texas, the only place it is semi-acceptable to locals is Austin. I am far from Austin and my husbands favorite meal is steak and potatoes. What's a girl to do?!! I also never wanted to be that person that constantly had to explain their eating beliefs at restaurants or group dinners.

Therefore, the only reason I am seriously considering changing my lifestyle is not because I am some PETA extremist, but because I have a growing conviction to continue to eat and support the monopoly that is taking advantage of the ignorance and avoidance of the American population about the food we are really eating. I have problems with exploitation of workers in the industry by these corporations. It just gets my blood pumping!

Im not saying that i'm fully committed. I'm on the fence, because i know it would be hard. I will likely start slow and gradually add a little more over an extended period of time.

This is the link for the trailer of the movie. I highly recommend this to anyone who eats food...so everyone :)

http://www.foodincmovie.com/

No comments: