Thursday, January 20, 2011

The first day that me, Michelle Grape, could have...

So, I started my second semester back at school on Wednesday. I was pretty relieved to be busy again, and was looking forward to my first day back. I always have a little bit of anxiety about the first class meeting though. There is always an oral roll call, and usually the teachers make you tell them and the class something "unique" about yourself. This first hour of every class never gets easier. The first mental debate that I have is...do i tell them something real? or do I make a wild story up? or do I go for the funny? or do i say something awkward just because that would funny to? Because my name doesn't come up until the "G's" always buys me a little time. So I listen to other people tell awkward stories about their boyfriend, or their grandma that passed away over Christmas break. REALLY? thats the foot you want to lead with? I always feel so AWKWARD...as a spectator and as a listener!

The second mental debate that takes place is, are the going to say my name right? Answer: NOPE! NEVER! I get called everything but Michal, and everything but Grappe. I get michelle, mykel, michel, grape, grappy. So after every teacher sounds out my name and looks around confused in the sea of faces starring back at them. Me, blonde, girl raise my hand. So immediately i have to explain my name because they have a look on their face full of question marks. I usually respond with, Michael but without the "e", and Crap but with a "g". This happened 3 times on day one. One of my professors is Korean, and i knew immediately she would especially struggle with my name so i was watching her stare at my name in confusion. After I explained to her my name situation, she responds with...." I had no idea Michael was gender neutral".I tried to say that it's from the bible, but she didn't acknowledge it. Then says, " Are you okay with that?" I laughed along with the other 70 people in my class. Because for the people in my class, this was their 3rd time to go through my name dilemma that day as well. Anyways...long story short....The name Michal Grappe is a bia for me and everyone involved when it comes to the beginning of school.

So, in between the classes their was a mini break. I was able to go home and get some more coffee which i needed because I dont know if yall remember? but the high was like 22 degrees!? I'm dressed cute, and was actually running a smidgen late because of this little cup of coffee that I wanted to brew so badly. Im in the parking lot. Have my bags, door open, and i reach for this little cup of coffee that i waited so patiently for. And....the....lid...falls...off. Coffee covered me in places i never thought was possible.NEVER. THOUGHT. So i stand outside and had images of myself throwing the cup and shattering it into a million pieces. I thought to myself, "yes that would make me feel better, to have some revenge on this stupid cup." I looked around but there was nowhere to throw the cup to release my anger. I could feel the moisture starting to freeze onto my body, it was so cold outside. I assessed the damage and realized there is no possible way that i can walk into my first day of class looking like i peed and pooped my pants. I look in my backseat and see some gym clothes and Mark's north face jacket.

Let me just say, this was the first time in my life that i saw gym clothes and it brought a smile to my face. Usually, the look of dread consumes me.

I changed clothes in the parking lot and walked into class not dressed cute anymore and reeking of coffee. This is the kind of day i need to learn to expect, just because these days lurk around frequent corners in my life. I'm just glad that I can laugh at these stories and remind myself of how bad it can get when i have those "WHHYYYYYY!!!!!?????????" days.

No comments: